The evening of October 14th 2016 in Florence, Italy at Palazzo Vecchio proved to be a night of fun and excitement. Medici: Masters of Florence had its world premiere and many of the actors attended including Richard Madden. Even Italy’s Prime Minister, Matteo Renzi, made an appearance and said a few words before the screening started. He commented, “Finally we can no longer ask how it is possible that Florence doesn’t have a series on the Medici…”
The screening was held in the Salone dei Cinquecento, Palazzo Vecchio’s most exquisite chamber where Grand Duke, Cosimo I de’ Medici, held his court. The Palazzo Vecchio was once the main residence of the Medici family before their move to Pitti Palace. It is amazing to have the 2016 World Premiere of Medici: Masters of Florence in the very same room where Cosimo I held his court in the 16th century.
Richard Madden, who portrays Cosimo de’ Medici, was in attendance wearing a sophisticated suit by Emporio Armani. He was looking good for someone who had just flown in from South Africa where he had been shooting his new TV show, Oasis, based on Michel Faber’s The Book of Strange New Things.
Other Actors in Attendance Included:
- Guido Caprino, an Italian stage, television and stage actor who plays Marco Bello.
- Giorgio Caputo, an Italian actor and director portraying Federigo Malavolti.
- Annabel Scholey, an English actress known for her role as Lauren Drake in the BBC series Being Human is Contessina de’ Medici.
- Sarah Felberbaum, a British-born Italian actress and model who plays Maddalena.
- Miriam Leone, an Italian actress, model, presenter and Miss Italia 2008, is Bianca.
- Alessandro Sperduti, an Italian actor plays Piero de’ Medici.
- Alessandro Preziosi, an Italian film and television actor portrays Filippo Brunelleschi.
- Valentina Bellè, an Italian actress, is Lucrezia de’ Medici.
- Ken Bones, a British actor and member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, is Ugo Bencini.
- Steven Waddington, an English film and television actor known for The Last of the Mohicans, plays Cossa.
Also in attendance was English singer and judge on X Factor Italia’s Deborah Anne Dyer a.k.a. Skin.
The night was a success with many satisfied fans and journalists alike taking photo after photo of the entire cast. Palazzo Vecchio held one of its most exciting nights of the year. It’s thrilling to get 8 fantastic episodes of this intriguing new drama and a second season to look forward to!
Where in Florence was the TV series filmed?? Find in our next article on Medici: Masters of Florence.
Post by Tessa Cole